Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Quinoa Fried Rice

Quinoa (Pronounce: KEEN-wah) cooked in fried rice style. How to cook quinoa in Indian pressure cooker and an easy recipe to start with. I have been seeing this for few years, but never thought to buy and cook. Two months back, my friend asked me to try some quinoa recipes and I too thought I should try. So bought a pack of organic Quinoa and kept for trying something out of it. Now almost its been a month since I bought it. Finally I cooked it today! And I really liked it. Sure gonna try many more Indian (south Indian) dishes with this. So as a first step I thought of posting a simple fried rice style quinoa recipe that is easy to prepare. It’s not at all any complicated to cook quinoa, just like rice, have to wash it and cook with water in the ratio of 1: 2 – 1 part quinoa means, 2 parts of water. Simple, but when I wanted to cook, I was blank how to cook it in our cooker. So I am sure this will help who ever trying out to cook quinoa for the first time like me. Since I am going to try more dishes out of it, will post when I try different method of cooking – like direct pressure cooker without keeping in a container and electric rice cooker. This is very healthy as it’s rich in protein and many other nutrients. Diabetic friendly! - 



Ingredients 

Quinoa – 1/2 cup

Peas, carrot, beans chopped – 3/4 cup

Capsicum, chopped – 1/4 cup

Black pepper, crushed – 1 tsp

Sugar – 1/4 tsp

Salt – As needed

Olive oil – 3 tsp


Method

  1. Pressure cook for 4 whistles  in medium flame. 
  2. Once done, fluff it well. Add a tsp of olive oil or sesame oil and cool down by spreading over a tray. Put the tray of quinoa in refrigerator until you prepare the veggies. -
  3.  Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the vegetables and toss in high flame. Sprinkle salt and sugar. Toss for about 1 & 1/2 minutes. 
  4. Add capsicum and toss well for another 1/2 minute.
  5. Add black pepper and cooked quinoa. Toss gently.
  6. Add one more tbsp of olive oil to give it a glaze and give it a mix in high flame.
  7. Cook quinoa in medium flame. Do not let the whistle come too fast. 
  8. Keeping the cooked quinoa in fridge helps to keep the grains separate.
  9. 1/2 cup quinoa gives 2 cups after being cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment